Craft Addict

"Everybody got their somethin'...." ~ Nikka Costa

Monday, January 30, 2006

Unraveling


Being a new knitter and only employed part-time, I don't have a lot of money for my new obsession. Recently I found out that you can recycle yarn from thrift store sweaters, and I thought to myself that this would be a great way to get yarn for practicing new techniques and small projects, without shelling out a ton of cash. I first saw recycled yarn for sale on eBay and, wondering what this was all about, did a search with google to find out more. I found a couple great sites with full instructions and info (http://neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html & http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html) and decided that since the thrift store was right near the craft store, I might as well kill some time on my day off poking around the stores. I came home this morning with $32.45 worth of sweaters: 4 sweaters that cost between $5.99 & $7.99 each. Considering I'd just spent that much on 3 skeins of yarn next door, I figured I'd be doing pretty well if I was able to figure out how to unravel my new treasures. Today I'm going to start on this Abercrombie and Fitch striped turtleneck. Some teenage sorority girl somewhere will probably have heart palpitations the second I cut into this one! I do admit to feeling a little badly about unraveling something that probably cost someone the amount of money I make in half a day's work when it was new, but I am hoping that I will be able to make something much more pretty and satisfying once I am finished with it. I didn't like the colors together very much, though I did try it on just to be absolutely sure I wanted to cut it up instead of wear it, but there is the perfect variety here for some felted flowers which I am very interested in as future projects. I won't need much of each color and some of these colors would be great for petals. Plus there is a yellow stripe and green stripes that I will be able to use for leaves and centers. It doesn't show in the photo, but there is some very subtle variegation to the yarns which I think will look beautiful once I've felted it. If only I can keep my hands off of it long enough to do my pilates!! Wish me luck :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home