Craft Addict

"Everybody got their somethin'...." ~ Nikka Costa

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Baby Girl Booties


These are photos of the baby booties I finished last week for my sister-in-law's baby shower. I made them from a Debbie Bliss pattern insert that came with a British knitting magazine I like to buy every month. I should really subscribe and save myself a bundle of money, but it is always sold with freebies in the store that I wouldn't be able to get as a real subscriber. Does that not seem ridiculous? That you, as a paying subscriber, wouldn't get all the goodies that come with the magazine? I guess it's because it's from the U.K. and they can't ship the extras here. It's a bummer anyway. But at least it gives me another excuse to buy coffee and browse around in Barnes and Nobles every month.

I was pretty happy with the way these turned out, except for the backs (the last photo). All the instructions said about the back was to "sew up the back seam". That's it. Yeah, that's what I thought too - real helpful. They also didn't show a photo so I had no idea what it was even supposed to look like. When I took the pattern down to the knit shop to see what they thought, they passed on some purls of wisdom that I'll have to try to remember for next time: if the pattern doesn't include a picture of the back of the finished item, then you probably don't really want to knit it. Hmmm. Good thinking.

Anyway, the yarn for these was Debbie Bliss's own Baby Cashmerino and I must say, it is the softest stuff imaginable! Cashmere, wool and microfiber. Cuddly and warm. Just right for little baby toes. I can't wait to make my new niece some more things. I'm looking at sweater patterns right this moment trying to find the right one for a Christmas gift. She's due in October so she'll be bigger than newborn by Christmas so I've got to find something cute to make. I'm checking out my vintage collection, hoping for that perfect mix of girly but not tear-my-hair-out complicated to make. I'll be back with an update soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home