Craft Addict

"Everybody got their somethin'...." ~ Nikka Costa

Friday, February 10, 2006

Sky Blue.... I'm felting you!


This poor GAP sweater was my second unraveling victim. The seams zipped out even better than on the last sweater I tried except- horrors!- the shoulder seams were serged! I don't think I really lost that much yarn though. As you can see in the photo on the right, I actually got quite a lot of yarn from it. I have to say, bulky sweaters are definitely easier to unravel and much more satisfying when you look at the amount of yarn you get from them. The plan is to make this plain, sad little sweater into something beautiful by giving it the chance to rise from its boring beginnings in a glow of pretty sky blue. I'm hoping to felt it into a bag or needle case and embellish with something girly. I'm not sure how it's going to felt, it's 50% wool/50% acrylic, so I'm going to have to waste some of it on a swatch which I'll then felt. Suck! I also thought about using this for a sweater pattern I got from sweaterbabe.com but I'm not sure I want a summer tank top made from something this thick and itchy (I, of course, had to try it on before unraveling it to make sure it wouldn't suit me). Today I scored again at the Goodwill. I stumbled upon a Monday only sale and got two more sweaters for $2.79 total!! A pretty buttery yellow American Eagle wool sweater that I might actually keep, and a GAP blue striped wool sweater that has already partially felted. I'm thinking about using this to make a tote bag using the pattern in "Alterknits" by Leigh Radford, or maybe a needle case.

The sun is shining outside and all I can think about is knitting! What's wrong with me? Knitting obsessed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home